Pages

Wednesday 13 May 2015

It’s all coming into place now!

Hello everyone, I hope you are keeping well. For those of you who still have exams, I wish you all the best of luck and hope they go well, and for those of you who are like me and have finished your exams, I hope you have a well-deserved rest! As the title of this blog might suggest, things are starting to fall into place slightly for me. I have finally met with my new dissertation supervisor (after being messed around a bit by my previous supervisor) and have discussed what I need to do to get started. It’s certainly going to be a very busy 4 months trying to research, write, and edit the 15,000 words that will make up my dissertation (or management research project as it is titled). However, after eight months of coursework and exams, the last thing on my mind right now is writing a dissertation, and just want to relax! Sadly that is not an option right now…

In other news, I have also been applying for jobs. I think I’ve done quite well in the sense that I’ve received a few interviews, but sadly I have not been successful after the interview stage. I have still been submitting applications, but as you may or may not know, applying for jobs can be a lengthy process. There’s actually filling in the application which can take time, especially if there is a lot to fill in; plus waiting for the deadline to pass; then waiting again for them to process the application to see if you have an interview or not, and if you do receive an interview, waiting to hear for the outcome of it!

This part of the blog is always my favourite, the part where I find a random fact that I find interesting, and hopefully you will also. As you may know from previous blogs, I am a huge fan of Ikea, but like most people, I have always wondered where they get the names for their products from. Well, today is your lucky day! I found there is a reason behind the names, and this is as follows:

  • Sofas, coffee tables, media storage and bookshelves are named after places in Sweden
  • Beds, wardrobes, and hall furniture are names after places in Norway
  • Carpets after places in Denmark
  • Dining tables and chairs after places in Finland
  • Bookcases are named after occupations
  • Bathroom items are named after lakes and rivers
  • Kitchens are usually grammatical terms
  • Kitchen utensils are food items, or functional words
  • Chairs and desks are named after Swedish men’s names
  • Materials and curtains are women’s names
  • And finally, children’s items are mammals, birds, and adjectives

So although that is quite a long list, I still think it’s certainly interesting to see the method behind the naming of their products. I hope you found that interesting, and I will keep you updated in the future. The best of luck to you all in your exams, I’m sure you’ll do great! Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment