Pages

Tuesday 9 April 2013

Amsterdam!

Hello there again everyone. Here’s hoping that all is well and you've been enjoying your Easter break so far. As you may remember from my last blog, I mentioned that I was going to Amsterdam for four days for one of my friend’s birthdays. Overall, we had a great time, but things didn't quite go according to plan… on the day we were due to leave, we were all sat and waiting for our airport taxi to pick us up to take us to the airport, which was due at 4am. 4am came, and 4am went, the drivers phone was off, so we couldn't contact him, no one was answering the phone at the office, and we didn't know what to do. 4:30am came and there was still no sign of him, and we really needed to leave. Luckily a few people I was going with had their cars, so we had to drive to the airport.

The airport we were flying from was Southend Airport, which I didn't even know existed. It was the smallest airport I've ever seen as well! Walking through the doors, you’ll see a check in desk, and a waiting area for arrivals, and then you go up the stairs to security, and then there is a waiting area where there are three gates, and three shops. I always hate going through security at airports, even though I know I haven’t got anything bad on me, I always feel like they’ll find something on me. I don’t even know why.


By the time we were called to our flight, I had already been awake for over 25 hours, so I was feeling pretty sleepy. All I remember of the flight was the strange noises the plane was making as we took off and thinking that I was going to die on the EasyJet flight, closing my eyes, and then waking up as the plane began its descent. To be fair, it was only a 40 minute flight from Southend to Schiphol (the airport in Amsterdam) so it’s not like I was asleep for long.

Getting to our hostel was fairly easy, as Amsterdam has a pretty good transport system. Although we couldn't check in until 3pm, and we got to the hostel at 11am, so we decided to go into the Centre of Amsterdam to have a look around. We ended up just buying a travel card and going to McDonald’s, which is so much better than in the UK. The chicken satay burger is a must if you go to The Netherlands!


Although the trip went rather quickly, we all had a great time nonetheless. I would definitely recommend Amsterdam to anyone, as it’s a great city, and there are lots of things to experience, and to see, and if you fly with EasyJet, the flights are fairly cheap as well, although Amsterdam is a lot like London in terms of the cost of going out, although in one bar I got 6 shots for €6! By the time we got back on Thursday, pretty much everyone went to sleep to catch up from the previous days.

Until next time, take care everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment